Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Candid: Book Haul and Power Trip

Candid Nerdette: Book Haul!!!

With the tragedy in Boston, I am having trouble focusing on my reading and reviews. For this Nerdy girl, the attention and devastation is similar to the 9/11 attacks and it always blankets my moods in dark. So to uplift myself I spent the whole day with my mother doing what I was trained to do since childhood. SHOP! And of course, knowing your lovable Nerd-Girl I went to my local "Goodwill" shops, and "Salvation Army."

To expand my library and save money, I often peruse thrift shops for out of print, hard to find, or just neat additions. in the past I would come home with bags of finds of my favorite authors, yet as I had changed my promise to my husband to "go easy" on the books alas I only found three.

Johanna Lindsey - The Heir - Romance

I fell in love with Lindsey's romances in high school when I checked out a novel from my local library, (They were never in the school library due to the sex scenes, which had saddened me ) I can't remember the title of the book, but I do know that it was about a young woman who time travels to the Viking Age and meets her roguish Viking whom she gets to keep! Yummy! The Heir though is a little more sophisticated or at least I believe it is as the cover does not have a bare chested Adonis with a fragile damsel embracing him with a face of pure ecstasy. (As I was writing the sentence I googled the cover and DID find a bare chested man. I guess the publishers class up the hardcovers. Who knew?) The Heir though is the first in the Reid Series.

Nicholas Sparks - The Guardian - Literature/Love Story

He's not a romance writer, though he writes about love and a romance. He escapes being pigeonholed and is known for bringing his characters to a tragic end. I watched adaptation of his movies before I discovered he was a writer. He's not one of my favorites but something about his craftsmanship on the story inspires me as I write. I am determined to have his all of his published works. (Dear John and Last Song were better as a novel, but I cannot resist Channing's ...well everything.)

The Reef - Nora Roberts - Romance

I love this writer to death! I just cannot get enough of Nora Roberts or her stories. She makes her female leads with a strong character and does not ignore the fact that they are women as well. Her men are practical and realistic, not the white knight on the high horse, but a partner for their lover. So far she not disappointed me, yet I still have 400 books to go.



Current Fiction and Sneak Peak of what Nerdette is Reading : Power Trip by Jackie Collins

The Raunchy Moralist has returned with another story about the Rich and Powerful and what happens when you are to naughty. POWER TRIP follows the passengers of a yacht, The Russian Billionaire and his Super Model Mistress, A Cheating Congress man and his Doll like unhappy wife, A former soccer star and his interior designer wife, A famous Latin Singer and his bitchy British Boyfriend, and a journalist and his Asian Human Activist date. As they all sail the seas, waves of drama erupt on board as everyone is somehow connected to each other. The story is comes to a head as pirates show up with revenge on their mind. I'm enjoying the novel as I usually do of Collin's works.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment